The 2023 Maui Invitational may have a special really feel this yr. School basketball’s premier early season event has relocated to the island of O’ahu on the campus of College of Hawaii with its long-time residence, the Lahaina Civic Heart, getting used to assist restoration efforts from the devastating wildfires that tore by means of Maui earlier this yr.
The Lahaina Civic Heart is thankfully nonetheless standing, however the destruction of the encircling space shall be a significant theme with the event this yr.
One factor that hasn’t modified concerning the Maui Invitational is the standard of the competitors. The sphere is as soon as once more stacked with potential nationwide title contenders as eight groups enter the event seeking to enhance their end-of-season resume and create some momentum earlier than convention play.
The Kansas Jayhawks, UCLA Bruins, Marquette Golden Eagles, Tennessee Volunteers, Gonzaga Bulldogs, Purdue Boilermakers, and Syracuse Orange all come to the Maui Invitational with excessive hopes for this season. The Chaminade Silverswords of DII spherical out the sphere, as they all the time do.
We’ll hold maintaining observe of each outcome for the 2023 Maui Invitational at this level. Right here’s the whole lot you must know concerning the event.
Maui Invitational bracket for 2023
Maui Invitational scores, schedule, TV instances, and matchups for 2023
All begin instances are Japanese.
Monday, Nov. 20
Sport 1: Tennessee 73, Syracuse 56
Sport 2: Purdue 73, Gonzaga 63
Sport 3: Kansas vs. Chaminade, 9 p.m., ESPNU
Sport 4: Marquette vs. UCLA, 11:30 p.m., ESPN2
Tuesday, Nov. 21
Sport 5: Syracuse vs. Loser Sport 2, 2:30 p.m., ESPN2
Sport 6: Loser Sport 3 vs. Loser Sport 4, 5 p.m., ESPN2
Sport 7: Tennessee vs. Winner Sport 2, 8 p.m., ESPN
Sport 8: Winner 3 vs. Winner Sport 4, 10:30 p.m., ESPN
Wednesday, Nov. 22
Sport 9: Third place sport, 2:30 p.m., ESPN2
Sport 10: Championship sport, 5 p.m., ESPN
Sport 11: Seventh place sport, 9:30 p.m., ESPNU
Sport 12: Fifth place sport, 12 a.m. Thursday, ESPN2
Maui Invitational 2023 high gamers and crew storylines
The restoration efforts from the wildfire in Maui would be the greatest theme all through the event. Followers can donate to assist or bid on gadgets for charity at Hoops For ‘Ohana. Proceeds will profit the Maui Robust Fund.
This Maui Invitational turns in a robust area yearly, however this one feels notably loaded. Let’s undergo the highest groups and gamers.
- Purdue Boilermakers: Purdue is led by reigning Nationwide Participant of the Yr Zach Edey, the 7’3 heart with mushy scoring contact across the rim. The Boilermakers are out for vengeance this season after dropping to No. 16 seed Fairleigh Dickinson within the first spherical of the NCAA event final yr. Just one different No. 1 seed had ever misplaced to a 16-seed, when UMBC upset Virginia in 2018, and Virginia responded by profitable the nationwide championship the following season. Purdue hopes to perform the identical.
- Kansas Jayhawks: Kansas is loaded with veteran expertise as soon as once more. The Jayhawks return three key starters from final yr’s crew, and add the largest (each actually and figuratively) switch within the nation in Hunter Dickinson by way of Michigan. Right here’s what I discovered concerning the Jayhawks after having a entrance row seat to look at Dickinson and Co. dominate Kentucky on the Champions Traditional.
- UCLA Bruins: This can be a new-look UCLA crew for essentially the most half, however their expertise is spectacular. Returning heart Adem Bona has been a monster to start out his sophomore season as an athletic massive man who performs with vitality across the rim at each ends of the ground. Freshman heart Aday Mara is a captivating watch as a 7’3 massive man with superior passing really feel and straightforward scoring contact across the basket. Sophomore Dylan Andrews and freshman Sebastian Mack might want to develop shortly to provide UCLA an opportunity on this event.
- Marquette Golden Eagles: Marquette is only a machine proper now. Coming off an superior season that ended too early within the NCAA event a yr in the past, Shaka Good’s crew returns Tyler Kolek, Oso ighodaro, Kam Jones, and extra. This can be a actual contender to win the nationwide title this season.
- Tennessee Vols: We all know Tennessee can defend in addition to any crew in America below Rick Barnes. This yr’s crew provides a key shooter in Northern Colorado switch Dalton Knecht which may assist lastly open up the halfcourt offense. With tons of dimension and expertise returning, Tennessee continues to be a nightmare matchup for anybody they face.