– [Narrator] Filming six little animals required a collaboration between TV crews and scientists world wide.
– Oh wow!
(chuckling) – [Narrator] Over two years, the staff filmed on 5 continents to be able to comply with these journeys.
Essentially the most distant location was western Madagascar’s Kirindy Forest, the house of probably the most extraordinary journeys of all.
Touring within the cyclone season, the primary problem was attending to the forest.
(water splashing) However the staff’s journey involves a halt when a fallen tree blocks their solely means in.
It is a great distance again for assist.
No less than somebody introduced an ax.
(rhythmic chopping) – Yeah, it seems like fairly robust going, so may very well be right here some time.
– [Narrator] 4 hours later, progress is sluggish.
With the tree lastly chopped into items, they have to nonetheless drag it out of the way in which.
(vague conversations) There are a number of miles to go but.
– We have simply arrived after 13 hours of driving and I am amazed that the automotive’s truly made it by means of the quantity of water with no electrical energy and this totally torrential rain.
(thunder rumbling) – [Narrator] With a break within the rain, the staff can lastly begin looking for the chameleons.
(bugs chirping) One of many scientists finding out the forest’s chameleons is Ludo Raoelina.
– In the course of the day, it is so tough to search out them.
It is higher to look at night time.
– [Narrator] Discovering a reptile no larger than a human finger is difficult.
Fortunately, chameleons flip pale at night time and sleep on the finish of branches, making them simpler to search out by spotlighting.
Cameras on the prepared, issues lastly appear to be going effectively for the staff.
(loud claps of thunder) – Whoa!
Did you see that?
We have been nearly to start out filming and simply, yeah, simply torrential.
– Simply so moist.
– You might actually ring me out, actually ring me out.
– [Narrator] Filming has to cease.
(light brilliant music) After a number of days, the storm passes, however the fleeting life cycle of the Kirindy chameleons is transferring quick.
Ludo is joined by Christopher Raxworthy, who has been finding out chameleons in Kirindy for many years.
– I’ve been fascinated with chameleons since I used to be a younger boy, and Madagascar was all the time a particular place.
(talking overseas language) If you wish to see these chameleons, Kirindy is the place to return to.
– [Narrator] Kirindy is not only a haven for chameleons.
– This forest is unbelievable.
Loving all the superb animals that we’re discovering within the forest.
We have seen sifakas and brown lemurs and a great deal of stunning birds, stunning butterflies.
– [Narrator] A number of the wildlife has taken a shine to at least one member of the staff.
– [Valeria] So Owen and I are at the moment in a twister of flies.
You having enjoyable, Owen?
– [Valeria] Why are you not having enjoyable?
– [Owen] (laughing) As a result of the flies like me an excessive amount of.
– [Narrator] Regardless of the challenges, the staff are capable of doc each component of this extraordinary lifecycle for the very first time.
(brilliant playful music) However they could even be filming this for the final time.
(brilliant music continues) These chameleons hatch, develop up, and die throughout one season.
(light music continues) This distinctive lifecycle has left them very susceptible.
– It looks as if a really dangerous technique to really put actually all of your eggs in a single basket.
You might think about if the eggs did not hatch, then there isn’t any backup generations to maintain the inhabitants going.
– [Narrator] With their lives so intimately in sync with the seasons, a shift within the local weather may very well be devastating.
– The wet season now begins in Madagascar maybe as late as two months later than once I first began working in Madagascar.
– [Narrator] And it is not simply the local weather that’s altering.
– The environmental pressures on Kirindy have elevated over the past 20 or 30 years.
And so the good information is now we have much more forests now, which is protected with inside reserves, however we can also inform from satellite tv for pc photographs and from, y’know, private expertise that we will nonetheless see ongoing declines by way of the overall forest space.
– [Narrator] Over the past 70 years, half of Madagascar’s forests have been destroyed, placing a lot of its distinctive wildlife, together with the chameleons, vulnerable to extinction.
– Sadly, I’ve seen forests that I labored in and love being degraded and cleared, and in order that’s a really painful expertise to generally see that form of biodiversity loss.
(talking overseas language) (constructing hopeful music) – [Narrator] Ludo and plenty of different native scientists are decided to protect the remaining wildlife.
(talking overseas language) – [Narrator] The work of devoted conservationists world wide helps the tiny animals featured on this sequence to proceed their journeys for a lot of generations to return.