– [David Attenborough] Few have analyzed the grand finale of the male lyrebird’s tune extra intensively than Dr. Anastasia Dalziell.
She and her workforce had been the first ones to movie it correctly.
– We thought, no one’s gonna consider us till we have really filmed it.
It is actually not like the rest that has been described beforehand in birds or some other animals.
(birds chirp) – [Narrator] It’s by finding out the recordings from their distant digicam that the workforce had been in a position to perceive the actual secret of the male lyrebird’s tune.
And it is this footage, along with our personal, that permits us to point out this outstanding habits on tv for the primary time.
Having sung A, B, and C and been rejected, the male now begins tune D.
– So this closing tune, it is a sound of a flock of small birds, (hen chirps) mobbing, reacting to a stationary or a hidden predator, like a snake.
And this was completely weird.
– [Narrator] So why is he imitating a flock of birds?
Effectively, a predator means hazard.
So on the sound of an alarm name, the feminine freezes.
The forest is not any longer a secure place.
Now the male takes benefit of her panic.
He jumps on high of her to mate.
It is exhausting for us to see her below his feathers and it is exhausting for her to see out from below them.
He is doing all the things he can to disorientate and confuse her.
– The male is definitely telling her an enormous fib.
‘Do not depart me as a result of on the market there is a hidden predator that you have not seen.’
To place it one other method it is like saying, ‘Child, it is harmful outdoors.
Come again right here with me the place it is good and secure.’
– [Narrator] The lyrebird is actually a hen that tells lies.
His tune is an acoustic phantasm.
Thus far, scientists have thought that tune was an sincere sign from the male but it surely appears tune can even be manipulative and false.